Hewitt is the only hall in the Quad dominated by upperclassmen.It’s a quiet corridor-style dorm with mostly sophomores, juniors, and seniors, with the exception of the 8th floor, where there are about 12 first-years. It is mostly singles, facing either the Quad or Claremont. There is plenty of space for clothes and belongings with two under-the-bed drawers, an in-wall closet, and a dresser. Rooms are all around 16’ by 8’, but sizes vary depending on which one you get. All rooms come with a bed, desk, chair, and dresser.
Hewitt has shared hall bathrooms that are cleaned daily. There is usually no trouble finding a shower, sink, or toilet, to use, as there are several in each bathroom, more so than in any other hall in the Quad. Sharing a bathroom with a hall is always a bit of a win-lose experience, but any trouble found in the stalls or showers is usually fixed within the day.
Hewitt residents can use the kitchens in the Sulzberger lounges on each floor, which have a stove, oven, sink, countertop, dish rack, and cabinets for storage. The kitchens can get pretty gross sometimes when people don’t clean up, but they’re cleaned regularly.
- Get a room facing Claremont! DO IT!
- Hewitt was recently renovated so there’s no more crazy colored doors or walls! It has a hotel-like feel.
- Living in the quad means you can roll out of bed 5 minutes before class and not be late!
- Quiet halls can be a great thing for some people
- Right above Hewitt Dining Hall
- Easy access to the gym and other Barnard facilities/buildings
- Entering through Sulz lobby usually means finding some kind of free snack left out for Sulz residents!
- Wireless internet
- The view of Claremont is beautiful, especially at sunset (Although my room on the 8th floor had a window too high for me to see out of)
- Access to the Sulzberger lounges with couches, a TV, and kitchen
- Some rooms have enough space for a couch depending on their layout
- Having a single means not having to work your sleep, study, or general habits around someone else!
- Hewitt’s main doors are never open, and the Hewitt elevator only goes up to the 7th floor (sorry 8th floor!). I usually just end up using the Sulzberger elevators and walking around, because they are much faster anyway.
- Thin walls— I’ve had to knock on my neighbor’s door a few times because I could hear her entire 2am conversations.
- Signing people in requires you to go through Brooks and then to the loud, slow Hewitt elevator.
- Pretty quiet considering the hall is mostly singles.
- You MUST for the Quad Upperclass Meal Plan (which is the 2nd highest one), with the exception of the first-years who are still required to purchase the full meal plan.
- No AC but you have some control over the heat in the winter
- Campus construction will be going on through 2018, so you may hear that noise more easily in Hewitt
The singles on the 8th floor are the most spacious (my room is 16’ x 10’ and it feels huge)
Check out our housing reviews from last year HERE