by Ama Debrah
We’ve all been there: It’s a Friday night, you have no date, you just failed your econ midterm, and it’s two degrees outside. What’s the secret formula to making everything better? Shameless chick flicks! Yes, they’re cheesy. But you know you love them.
1. Dirty Dancing: An oldie, but a goodie. Plus, with the late and great Patrick Swayze and Jennifer’s Grey’s old nose, how could you not have the time of your life?
3. The Notebook: Feel free to replace this with “anything affiliated with Nicholas Sparks.”
4. The Princess Bride: Because honestly, who doesn’t want to be rescued by a handsome farm boy?
5. Clueless: Proven to lift your spirits whether you’re “surfing the crimson wave” or just “rollin with the homies.”
6. West Side Story: Though not exactly a romantic comedy, I dare you to sing along with “I feel pretty” without feeling witty and bright.
7. Legally Blond: If Elle Woods can get into Harvard Law, who’s saying your future’s over after than last orgo lab?
8. 27 Dresses: Watching Katherine Hiegel, the queen of romantic comedies, try on a decade of awful bridesmaid dresses is nothing if not hilarious.
9. Bridget Jones’ Diary: This modern take on Pride and Prejudice is always fresh and funny.
10. Sixteen Candles: Easy A had it right: everyone secretly wants John Hughes to direct their life.
Ama is a first-year at Baranrd College and a staff writer for The Nine Ways of Knowing.